7 Easy Ways to Increase Your Fibre Intake
Mye Calorie Counts presents, 7 Easy to Increase Your Fibre Intake in the diet. Fibre is an important component which the body needs to be supplemented with, on a day to day basis. It is very important for proper functioning of the gut, proper digestion of food, healthy bowel system and prevention of disease.
Fibre can be soluble or insoluble. Soluble fibre is the kind which can be digested by the body. Whereas, insoluble fibre is not absorbed by the body. It acts as roughage to the body, and enables smooth bowel movement.
The 7 ways to increase Fibre in your diet are through
1. Cereal – Whole grain cereal options are a good source of fibre. whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, seeds, barley, and other whole grains are all good sources.
“Did you know 75g of wholewheat spaghetti contains about 8g of fibre!”
Some options are adding barley in soups, sunflower seeds in salads, and some whole wheat flour in recipes – such as our traditional rotis.
2. Bananas – When the bananas are slightly green, as opposed to being completely yellow, at that stage it is starch with fibre-like properties. As the fruit ripens, it becomes higher in sugar.
There is about 3g of fibre in a medium banana!
3. Apples – The forbidden fruit – activates peristalsis, the movement of the gut to in hence digestion.
A small apple weighing around 80g has 2-3g of fibre.
4. Nuts – A great source of many micronutrients.
Thirty grams of nuts contains about 2g of fibre.
5. Baked potatoes. There is a lot of hype that potatoes are not good for you, but that is far from the truth. Most of a potatoes fibre is in its skin. Try baked, boiled or jacket potatoes with their skins.
A medium-sized potato with the skin on contains about 4g of fibre!
6. Pulses. Beans, peas and lentils are all good sources of fibre.
There is 6.8g of fibre in 150g of baked beans; 100g of boiled lentils contains 8g – so 2 servings of daal give you 8gms of fibre!
7. Fluid Intake – Drinking fluids is essential You need water so fibre can work properly. Try to drink 8 glasses of fluids each day. Water and milk are best.